Applications of Shunt Field DC Generators
The terminal voltage of the shunt field generator is almost constant or we can very easily keep it constant. Because of that we can suitably use shunt field generator for charging batteries. Also we use shunt field generators for their nearly constant terminal voltage, in ordinary lighting and power supply.
Applications of Series Field DC Generators
We do not normally use series field generator for purpose of power supply. This is because of its raising external characteristics. But sometime we can safely use series field DC generator for long DC transmission system and for railway distribution system because of its typical raising external characteristics. This raising external characteristic helps to prevent the line voltage drop for long transmission and distribution network.
Application of Compound DC Generators
In practical purposes, we mostly use compounded DC generators. Because, we can adjust the terminal voltage at load end by adjusting its field ampere terms. There are three kinds of compound generators. One is over compounded generators which have more full load terminal voltage than no load voltage. We widely use this type of generator for long transmission and railway distribution purposes. The second type is flat compounded DC generators which have equaled no load and full load voltage. DC widely use it for short distribution purpose and also for ordinary lighting and power supply load. The differentially compounded generator has external characteristics similar to a shunt generators. Because of that we widely use this under compounded DC generator for earth welding purpose. Because during earth wilding it desires to have the large voltage drop with increasing current. The differentially compounded DC generator is the under compounded DC generator.
- EMF Equation of a DC Generator Step by Step Derivation
- Working Principle of DC Generator with Single Loop Model
- Types of DC Generator Separately and Self Excited
- Different Characteristics of DC Generators
- Characteristics of Series DC Generator (Self Excited)
- Characteristics of DC Shunt Generator (Self Excited)
- Characteristics of a Separately Excited DC Generator
- Characteristics of Compound DC Generator
- Construction of DC Generator
- Armature Winding Pole Pitch Coil Pitch Commutator Pitch
- Armature Reaction in DC Machine i.e. Generator and Motor
- Compensating Winding in DC Machines
- Commutation in DC machine and Reactance Voltage
- Methods of Improving Commutation
- Losses in DC Generator Core Copper & Mechanical Losses
- Uses or Applications of DC Generators
- DC Generators in Parallel Operation