The galvanometer is an indicating instrument. This instrument mainly detects the presence of any small electric signal in a circuit. Although this instrument can measure currents and voltages. But we normally use this instrument to detect the presence of currents and voltages. Usually we avoid it for measuring purposes because its insufficient accuracy.
Types of Galvanometers
There are several types of the instrument. For examples, moving coil type and moving magnet type are two very popular form. The permanent Magnet Moving Coil (PMMC) type is most popular. We also refer it as D’Arsonval Galvanometer. It is a DC instrument. Also, there are many other types of galvanometers. Among which, the Ballistic galvanometer measures quantity of electricity. Another type is vibration galvanometer. Again we can categories vibration type as moving magnet type and moving coil type. Although we more generally use moving coil type. This is because, stray magnetic field can seriously affect the performance of moving magnet type.
Application of Galvanometer
We generally use this instrument in bridge circuits and potentiometers. It helps to identity the exact balance condition of Wheatstone bridges and other types of bridge circuits. In potentiometer galvanometer does the same job.
Properties of an Ideal Galvanometer
- No external magnetic field or electric field can seriously affect the performance of the instrument. So, the instrument should have proper magnetic screening mainly when it is a moving magnet type instrument.
- Since, we generally use this instrument as the null director, it must have a stable zero.
- Fast reading is another criteria of a good galvanometer. So, it must have short periodic time.
- To get quick detection of electrical signal, the instrument must not have unnecessary oscillations of the pointer. Therefore it must have a critical damping.
- Ferrari’s Type Instrument Construction Working and Torque
- Shaded Pole Type Induction Instrument
- Induction Type Watt Hour Meter or Energy Meter
- Repulsion Type Moving Iron Instrument
- Working Principle of Indicating Instrument
- D’Arsonval Galvanometer Construction Working
- Galvanometer Types Applications of Galvanometer
- Attraction Type Moving Iron Instrument
- Soil Resistivity Test or Soil Resistivity Measurement
- Electronic Voltmeter Types of Electronic Voltmeter
- True R.M.S Voltmeter Working and Theory
- Single Phase Dynamometer Type Power Factor Meter
- Three Phase Dynamometer Type Power Factor Meter
- Moving Iron Power Factor Meters
- Weston Frequency Meter Construction and Working
- Saturable Core Frequency Meter Construction Working
- Electrical Resonance Type Frequency Meter
- Mechanical Resonance Frequency Meter (Vibrating Reed)
- Ratiometer Type Frequency Meter Construction Operation
- Dynamometer Type Wattmeter and Its Deflecting Torque
- Induction Type Wattmeter Construction Working and Torque
- Electrostatic Wattmeter Construction And Working
- Induction Type Instrument Working Principle and Types
- Electrostatic Type Measuring Instrument
- Types of Electrical Measuring Instruments
- Dynamometer Type Instrument and its Working Principle
- Hot Wire Instrument Construction and Working
- Permanent Magnet Moving Coil Instrument (PMMC)
- Moving Iron Instrument Working Principle and Errors
- Rectifier Type Instrument Construction and Advantages
- Thermocouple Instrument Working and Construction
- Moving Iron Type Synchroscope Construction and Working
- Electrodynamometer Type Synchroscope or Weston Synchroscope